Five Ways To Salsa For Cinco de Mayo – By Chef Martin
Salsas are a fantastic addition to any menu. They are quick and easy to make, they taste fresh and have health appeal. Most Americans consider it part of the regular condiment lineup. Salsa has appeared on menus in the US for years, and not just at Mexican eateries. In fact, salsa flavors grew by 26% across US menus between 2011 and 2014.1 The average consumer has grown used to seeing the tomato-based product in every grocery store nationwide, too.
I love the versatility of a salsa seasoning mix. It allows chefs to customize dishes to a patron’s liking, which is good since 61% of consumers say it is important that a restaurant customizes their order exactly how they like it.1 With salsa seasoning mix, other ingredients can be incorporated such as beans, corn and pineapple to offer spicy and sweet options. With imagination the dish can be incorporated into a variety of vegetarian foods. Don’t forget to add different heat levels for on-point flavors and trends. Think outside the box. With just one salsa seasoning mix SKU, you can create multiple choices.
- Breakfast: Offer salsa as an accompanying choice for eggs. Mix it with black beans and corn for a breakfast burrito. Lunch: A must with taco salads. Dinner: Create a cranberry salsa that can be served with roast turkey.
- Salsa bars: Salsa bars are a great way to tap into the popularity of made-to-order flavors. In fact 43% of consumers say they will try a dish if they can customize the sauces and spices. 1 Create your salsa bar with different ingredients and heat levels, such as fiery habanero salsa or salsa verde. Offer vegetarian options with the proteins from beans and lentils.
- Accompaniments: There is a great opportunity to serve pineapple or mango salsa with a pork taco by adding spicy heat to the dish, or with pico de gallo and shrimp.
- Vegetarian: Salsa mixes let you incorporate beans into the menu by offering wholesome dishes such as Cowboy Caviar.
- Snack: Add salsa to sour cream to create a flavorful dip with snacks. You can also add heat to chips to complement the freshness of salsa.
If you’re looking for a delicious, fresh-made salsa seasoning for your foodservice operation, Foothill Farms offers a seasoning mix that helps you get the most out of just one SKU. Contact us for more information or to place an order.